Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WebFOCUS or SQL Stored Procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeko1226

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
We are in the middle of a migration from MS Access 2003 to SQL Server 2000/WebFOCUS 7.6.1. Everyone I speak to outside of my employer tells me that I should be writing SQL Stored Procedures to get my report results, and then connecting WebFOCUS Dev Studio to that result to display/format it.

The internal WebFOCUS team here is telling me that it is their best practice to simply create master files to every table in our SQL Server db and then let WebFOCUS do all the joining and querying. I've been told that there are some SQL statements that WebFOCUS can't interpret correctly and that the processing time when doing it this way is longer.

Can someone provide me with some insight/expertise on which way we should go? Now is the time to make the decision, I want to create a standard for our MIS group so we can all be on the same page for development and documentation.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

It has been my preference to let SQL do what it does best, extract data, and let WebFOCUS do what it does best;ie, accumulate, analyze, style, and present data in varios formats.

That being said, I still like having MFDs (Master File Descriptions) available for each table for the quick and irty reports, testing, etc.

HTH

If you want user to access the SQL tables directly with WebFocus then Master Files are needed. This is a quick, easy and one time proceess.

If just want user to write SQL and access the data, you don't need to create Master files. You can What is call SQL Pass thru in WebFocus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back