Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webcam and Microphone - will this work? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I've been asked to set up a web camera and microphone/headset on a computer for an internet video link probably via MSN. This machine is running XP Home SP2 with plenty of RAM and a 2.8GHz CPU, but currently only has a 56Kbps dialup modem.

I have no experience with cameras and microphones being used in this way. My thoughts are that this type of slow internet connection will give very poor video results, if indeed it works at all.

Anyone any experience they'd care to impart please...?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

G0AOZ,

Normally, using MSN Messenger will optimise your webcam and microphone for best use over an internet link.
Set up your Mic and Webcam using the Audio/Video Wizard in MSN Messenger.

Usually the Webcam picture will refresh every 1 to 2 seconds if ONE user is on Dialup, 2-4 seconds if BOTH users are on dialup and between 0.1 to 0.5 seconds if BOTH users are on ADSL/Broadband.

The Quality of the picture is not affected by the connection speed, simply the refresh rate.

Hope this helps.

Jag14

yosherrs.gif

[tt]'Very funny, Scotty... Now Beam down my clothes.'[/tt]

Many thanks for that JAG14. At this stage I have no knowledge concerning the remote computer, but it looks worth the effort to set it all up. I've pointed out to the user that whilst he's laboriously downloading e-mail, photos and other stuff on 56K, his customers won't get through on the phone! And that for another £5 a month he could get a decent ADSL connection...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

You may want to look into Skype 2 from skype.com in the event that your end-user gets ADSL. Video and voice calling is much better than MSN Messenger and is FREE when it's PC to PC. Also with SkypeOUT, Calls to Landlines all over Europe and N. America are ridiculously cheap aswell.

HTH

Jag14

yosherrs.gif

[tt]'Very funny, Scotty... Now Beam down my clothes.'[/tt]

Thanks again... And a star 4 U!

ROGER - G0AOZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back