Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webaccess spellchecker and firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

javon7065

MIS
Dec 18, 2000
US
hello all. I have a question about using the webaccess 5.5 spell checker. I have just released webaccess to the world and I have an unusual situation when using the spell checker feature. when accessing the site by it's URL, I can get to the site and do everything on the webaccess screen but when I attempt to get a spell checker session started, it says "unable to create spell checking session with server"

However, If I go to the site via it's public IP address (which gets redirected at our firewall to the internal web server running webaccess) there is no problem. there is also no issue when getting to it via a cname from an internal machine.

this is strange. when it works in our firewall, I look at the log and see it going to the outside address first, on port 9010 whihc the speller wants to run on, and then gets to the firewall and gets to the internal server. so the firewall rules are not an issue.

this is beyond my understanding of NAT I guess. please help

thanks

joe

This really has nothing to do with NAT just to ease your sanity.

The problem is simple.... The spell checker actually uses more than one port. Yes, it is true that you need port 9010 to make the initial call but it replies using others (don't recall exact range but it's something like 9010-9020). I'm almost possitive that was what we did to fix the spellcheck issue.

Mark

Novell has a big issue if you are running this on a
Windows 2000 Server with IIS 5.0
I had the same problem

There is a TID on support.novell.com

Number 10027050.

This talkes about your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back