Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web stats, and hit counters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

balance

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
CA
Hello,

I was wondering what is the best monitor for web hits? We need one that is very thorough, one that tells us who is hitting our second, third, fourth level pages, one the provides charts and graphs based on user tracking, and something we can use to show executive management how the web site is performing. It doesn't have to be free, just thorough because it will be used in part as a business tool.

What is everyone using and what else should we look for?

Thanks for all your help,

AJ

I like
colorado.gif

"Quest for the Cup - 2002!"
"Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!"

Just checing out those sites,
DO you guys find its worth while to actually pay for a stats package?? Just seems to me like a lot of money wasted when theres free versios out there, which admittadly aren't nearly as good, but it is worth the costs to have a better stats package? What do you think?

É
<!--#include file=&quot;profound quotation&quot; -->

NO!!! DON'T PAY FOR THEM, WHY PAY WHEN YOU CAN GET THEM FOR FREE, OR IF YOU RUN YOUR OWN WEB SERVER, MAKE YOUR OWN!!!​

IF YOU LOOKED AT YOU WILL SEE THAT THEY HAVE GREAT WAYS OF VIEWING YOUR STATS!!!​

Hope this helps!
colorado.gif

&quot;Quest for the Cup - 2002!&quot;
&quot;Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!&quot;

Hi Spyderix, i'd never pay for them! The best stats package I have seen is from Hitbox, its excellent, shows EVERYTHING you need, unfortunatly it comes with a very annoying banner! And my sites have to be banner free, for now anyway.
Gostats looks ok but not as good as hitbox, guess i'm asking for too much! :)

I have AXS perl script thingy, anybody familiar with this? havent installed it yet.

É

Gostats doesn't require a banner, and the stats are pretty good, however I don't know what you are looking for in the stats.

Here is what they offer:

View Country Stats
View Language Stats
View Screen Stats
View Browser Stats
View OS Stats
Multiple page stats:View multiple page & Referral stats
Search Engine Analysis

Traffic per day of the week
Traffic per hour of the day
Last 20 Guests
Visits over last 24 hours
Year Trend

Hope this helps!
colorado.gif

&quot;Quest for the Cup - 2002!&quot;
&quot;Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!&quot;

Hi all,

It all depends on what you require from a stats package and also how professional it needs to look.

With the ones that Boomerang and I mentioned, these programs generate a report from the raw server logs and are not &quot;Real Time&quot; stats, I use a different program for that.

With these packages, a report can be generated for a client and sent on CD etc, which would be more difficult with a lot of other services..

If you want to take a look at these two packages, go to the following address and log in as &quot;demo&quot; + &quot;demo&quot;.

Hope this helps Wullie

Thanks Spyderix, wulli.
One of the page things I look for is page views, what individual pages were viewd and when etc
I just installed AXS a short while ago and it looks quite good. Its fairly comprehensive and also tracks links out of your site amongst other things! Pretty ok so far. Now I just need visitors! :)

E É

Wow, all great responses...well, except for that big hockey banner. Maybe I shouldn't talk, our team didn't make the playoffs.

I think this discussion is bringing out some good points that we need to consider. We are willing to pay as long as we get the right information. Reports like browser type are less important in this situation. We are in the process of reorganizing our web site and want to see (down to the page level) what pages are being viewed and how often. What sections of the site are being hit and what ones are not. This information will all help in the structure of our new site. Plus, it will help indicate what sections need attention in order to boost traffic to those areas.

Thanks for all the great links and Wullie thanks for the access to view the sample reports.

Cheers,

AJ

I have heard of a FREE programme called the webalizer, but you have to be a bit of a techi to set it up.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible for an isp to interfere with you stats. Someting like only permitting 1 in 20 or something like that to be recorded by people like Extreme or AddFree stats etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back