Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Site with No Browser Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanR

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
Has anyone every seen/designed a web site that appears to have no browser for example like the Windows Media Player when the menu bar is hidden.

I hope I am not imagining things but I thought I saw this somewhere before.

Please let me know if this is possible.

I would like to build my own GUI with no browser or borders.

Thanks

Yes I've seen this. I think I saw it somewhere in dynamicdrive.com unders windows and borders or soemthing like that. But I do know they have alot of things to do with borders in there and one of them gives you control over the actual browsers border.
Jammer1221

Yes, I have seen these before but not exactly what I am looking for.
What I have seen allows for a transparent background.

Thanks

You can have windows that have no borders, that have transparency, and that are irregularly shaped. However, to do this normally requires at least 1 Windows API call, which cannot be done within most browsers (using VBScript, JavaScript, etc).

Hope this helps!
Dan

BillRay,
Can you explain a bit more? Are you saying VBScript/JavaScript cannot make this call and some other language can or VB/JS can't because there is no browser?

Thanks,
Jordan

Just think about how cool it would be to be able to have irregularly shaped windows etc when viewing a site. Have you ever seen ANY website (in IE for Windows - the most common browser setup) that offers this? Ever?

The answer is staring at you... it cannot be done in the web browser. If it could... don't you think every script kiddie from here to DynamicDrive would be creating these?

If you want to have irregular window shapes etc... you're going to have to code your own browser... or modify one of the open source projects.

Jeff

>> Can you explain a bit more? Are you saying VBScript/JavaScript cannot make this call and some other language can?

That's exactly what I'm saying. AFAIK no browser scripting language can execute Windows API calls. You'd need a language such as VB (not the same as VBScript), Delphi, C++, etc, and write a proper windows app to be able to do this.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Thanks all for the responses.

I realized what it was that gave me the idea of a browserless/ borderless window.

It was a Flash site that I saw a long time ago. I thought it was antz.com but I can't seem to find it.

Your responses have been informative and I will look into the VB programming.

Thanks,
Jordan

It sounds like you are looking for a chromeless window script.

The others were right that DynamicDrive has these kinds of scripts or you can Google 'chromeless window'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back