Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Sever Buying Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinton25

Programmer
Mar 20, 2004
BB
Hello,

I have found many general guides on servers, but none specific to a web server. I need a server which can be either hosted at our office or colocated. Running an asp.net application with SQL Server 2005 (primarily database searches will be run, user load unknown). Could you advise what features I should look for:

1. Tower, Rack, Blade.

2. Number of drives-hot swap, RAID etc. The application itself is only 1MB in size, but the database is currently 1GB and growning at about 300MB every 6 months.

3. OS- I was thinking Server 2003 Web edition but then I realised that one can't use the full version of SQL Server.

4. RAM guide-how much, which type?

5. Best type of processor, how many, growth option

6. System Bus?

You could probably get away with a DL380 G3, G4 or G5 rack server, dual 3.2GHz procs, dual core, 4GB RAM, with two 18GB 15K Ultra320 drives and 4 72GB Ultra320 15K drives---18GB drives RAID 1 and 72GB drives RAID5 with a hot spare. Plenty of room to grow with a very small database like that. You sure you don't mean 1 TB, growing 300GB every 6 months??? The same server would do, but then you'd need an MSA1000 filled with 146GB Ultra320 drives (10K are cheaper, but they'd all should match speed, and a 2GB fiber PCI HBA for the server to communicate with the SAN. Specs on the DL380's can be found on HP's site.

Burt

Hello,

Growing at 300 Megabytes every 6 months.

Rationale behind the specs suggested? When I go to make the request for funding I need to say why dual core rather than quad core, etc.

That is a very small database. I have home movies that are twice that, some 6 times that.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back