Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Service works on development machine but not on web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeymagic2222

Technical User
May 13, 2002
GB
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas why I'm getting the following problem.

I have a web service and a seperate web application that talks to the web service. It all works perfectly on my development machine but as soon as I put the service onto a seperate web server, update the web reference and then run the web app, I get the error:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at UserSession.CreateNewUser(String username, Bot bot, Hashtable userHash)
at Service.createUser(String Username)

As far as I can understand, it seems as though the string from the web app isn't passing to the web service which causing the null reference error. It obviously does work as it works on the development machine and I haven't changed any code. Could this be some sort of permissions issue? The web server is running on Windows 2003 and IIS 6 and I'm using Visual Studio 2008.

I should also point out that if I type in the name of the asmx file in a web browser on the web server, I get response from the web service.

Thanks, Simon

I had this same thing happen and it turned out it was the firewall on my production server that was stopping the SOAP request.

I wont pretend to be a server admin and tell you how to fix it, I got our server admin to fix it :) It's definitely worth looking into though.

Travis Hawkins
jobs.bestcodingpractices.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back