Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Service Usage Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadau

Programmer
Nov 14, 2002
US
We have 2 seperate business problems to resolve that require the use of Web service technology. My question is, should we use 1 Web service or use 2 distinct Web services to facilitate a business solution? I am really looking to get advice on the best practice for this situation with my main concern being server resource utilization and performance.

Are you ever going to want one running in one place and one in another?

Are the problems for the same database / system?

It's just a future planning kind of question... more of a judgment call then anything.

If you do put them in the same one... definitely create 2 separate asmx pages(one for each purpose) so that you can easily separate them out later if you must.

Senior Software Developer

I don't think they would ever need to run on seperate servers. Also, both solutions would involve connecting to a Legacy system and a SQL Server. Will performance be better by combining the solutions into one Web Service?

>>We have 2 seperate business problems to resolve that require the use of Web service technology

some more questions:
1. Are you planning to reuse this anywhere else?
2. Is there any relationship between this services (Data retrieved by them)

The ONLY problem with 2 services is when you have data to pass between the 2 services.

Otherwise even if they are in the SAME service for EACH call the same overhead is made as if you called a separate service...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back