Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web service connections always climbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kooch

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
CA
I have a Windows 2003 Web server running IIS 6 hosting an ASP.NET application. After some monitoring I came across some activity that definitely looks like the problem, but I'm not sure where to continue troubleshooting.

In Perfmon I have added the "Connections Established" counter under "TCPv4" as well as the "Current Connections" counter under "Web Service". The TCPv4 counter stays fairly consistent throughout the day staying around the 40-50 mark, but the Web Service counter just rises and rises until it peaks (at about 700) and the worker thread max is met, the ASP.NET queue starts filling up, and everything just stalls out and I have to iisreset the machine. The web service connections go back to zero and then start slowly climbing again until a few hours later they are back to where they were before.

I should mention that the system resources on that server are not affected in any major way. Even when the connections peak I'm still sitting at about 20% CPU and more than half of the memory in the system is free.

It's clear that there is some problem with connections not being terminated properly but I'm not sure how to get more relevant information.

Could someone please steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back