Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsmooth

MIS
Jun 28, 2002
US
I am looking to start my own domain server to host several personal domains (1 for each friend)/web hosting. I received a document a while back (e-book) on how to do this. I'm still not very clear on it. I have RedHat Linux v7.3 installed, and can not find where to start the ftp server in order to ftp some config files up.

Please help. ----------------------------------------
Fred Horton
Network Administrator
Sherwood Food Distributors
fhorton@sherwoodfoods.com

Depends on which ftp server you have installed but it should be started via the inetd/xinetd super internet daemon which spawns the appropirate server for the incoming request (as an aside, the apache web server is different as it is generally set up to listen on the on its own for performance reasons).

Not sure if RH7.3 used inetd or the superceeding xinetd but check their config files to see if ftp in enabled (for inetd it's /etc/inetd.conf, I think that for xinetd, individual configus are stored in the /etc/xinetd directory).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back