Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Server for my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFTyrant

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
I'd like to be able to test my CFM files locally without having to upload them to the server first.

Can anyone recommend a free (or cheap) personal web server that will work with the version of CF Server that comes with CF Studio 4.5.1?

I tried a couple of generic web servers off cnet and while they work for HTML they don't work for CFM.

Couple of things

First.. IIS/PWS from Microsoft seems to do ok.. with a decent range of tools for running PERSONAL web server and it works with cf...

You also may have to install the CF Server AFTER the Server installation because CF Server often will autodetect your installed server and configure itself for that...

A few years ago in my first test of installing a server, I tried installing PWS and CF Server and had it right on the first try.. the installation couldn't be more user friendly.. At least not with an MS product involved.

What OS are you using?

The Personal Web Server (PWS) that webmigit mentioned would probably be fine. For NT Workstation/Server, the equivalent is IIS. For XP Home, then Microsoft doesn't provide one. With that, you can use Apache ( which is also a free webserver. They just released 2.0, but from what I hear, it may not work with CF, so go with the 1.x version.

XP Pro comes with IIS, so no problem there.

Incidently, If you have Win95/98 the CF Graphing service won't run on that OS, so you if you need to do testing with that, I'd consider upgrading your OS to something a little more "development worthy"

HTH,
Tim P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back