Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Reporting Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc999

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
GB
Gradually getting there with my SMS installation... but still got a few problems that seem to take a ridiculous amount of time to sort out. Anybody solving this will probably save me about a week. Here goes:

I am trying to get the web reporting working using SMS 2003 / 2003 server and Advanced security. If I use SMS admin console to run a report I either get an error message saying "Report xxx is unavailable. Either you do not have permissions to view the report or the report does not exist." or I get through to the reports web console (?) and I get an IE browser error stating that:

Line: 916
Char: 2
Error: Object required: 'oRootNode'
Code: 0
URL: ReportID=13&DashboardID=&ShowTree=False

Now I haven't got a clue about the second one. What is interesting is that I get different messages for different reports. If I just send my browser to the root of the reporting site I get the page but NO reports are listed. If I create a dashboard then the dashboard appears but the reports behind it invoke an error message like the first one above.

How can I tell if the reports do actually exist?? They are in SMS admin console so I suppose they do, but where are they? Cannot see any specific ASP pages on the local website. Is it possible that they have not propogated to the website from the SMS server?

And failing that if they do exist why have I got no permissions? All has been setup primarily using one admin account and the machine account. I haven't set up any other security groups. Cannot find any errors in logs - the reporting install log seems to suggest that the reporting part has been installed successfully.

Any help appreciated - this thing is starting to send me a little mad. [mad]

Your 2nd error message I don't understand, but I do have a suggestion to take care of some basic reporting permissions issues:

Step 1: THE BASIC PERSMISSIONS on SMS 2003
Try the following to get access rights to reports...
SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT SERVER | SITE DATABASE | REPORTING | REPORTS
Right-click on REPORTS and click on PROPERTIES from the popup menu.
Click on the SECURITY tab.
Click on the sunburst icon (*) to add a security right.
In white box below USER NAME:, type: domain\userid where domain is your NT domain and userid is the userid you want to grant reports rights to.
Next under PERMISSIONS, click on every blank box to enble each persmissions (should show a check mark).
Next click on the OK button.
**WARNING** Make sure that the domain\userid is typed correctly and exists. SMS 2003 does NOT perform a validity check!

Run a report and provide the newly entered information. Don't forget the userid should be entered in the format: domain\userid

The user account you are using must be a member of SMS Reporting Users
(administrators are automatically members even though not listed in the group), and must have SMS Security Rights to the specific report, The absolute minimum right that need to be granted to read and run reports is read.

Step 2: IE PERSMISSIONS
In IE go to "Internet options"
Select the Security tab
click on the Trusted sites icon
press Sites... button
add the SMS Report Viewer site as one of your trusted
sites (Add the website to the zone)
make sure "require server verification" checkbox is
UNCHECKED
press ok

Now press Custom Level... button
In the security settings go down to the bottom and make
sure "automatically logon with current username and
password" is selected.

Thanks 2tired, the internet settings options did the trick.

Ditto your comments in the other thread on Microsoft providing some better docs on doing a basic 1 server install.

Think my SMS server is up and running at last :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back