Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web query to send SMTP email only when data exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiradttx

Technical User
Dec 7, 2003
US
I need help creating an asp or html page that will run on a web server and query a Teradata database. Only if the query returns results I would like them to be SMTP emaild to a group of email addresses.

Will auto refreshing the webpage at regular intervals to check if data exists do the job? Or is there a better way to accomplish this.

Could a stored procedure on the data server achive the result with less overhead on the network?

I am quite a novice so I would appreicate help with the entire ASP page if possible.

Thanks in advance.

If this is an automated task, then a web page is not the correct presentation for the process. does this process require user interaction to get the results? If so then which presentation is best? web, desktop, command line...

It sounds like you want a reoccuring routine to execute this task. So now you need to decide what's the best method.

1st, start with what you have
What type of hardware/software are you using? I assume you at least have Sql Server 2K since you posted in the DTS forum. I would also assume you have at least Windows Server 2K on the Sql box as well. Other than that we have no idea what you have access to.

2nd, what you know
What types of scripting/programming languages are you fimilar with? asp, asp.net, c#, c++, c, vb.net, vb6, javascript, php, java, ruby, command shell...

What types of OS do you know: Windows, Linux, Sun...

Where will this task run: intranet, extranet, internet?
Do you have control over the database administration?
Do you have control over the applcation server this may need to run on (if necessary)?

3rd, what do you have control over?
Will a 3rd party be hosting this application/database?
If this is located within your company intranet what network access do you have?
Will you need to corrdinate your efforts with another team member/department?

From here you will be able to elminate some options and narrow your approach. once this is done, you can then determine application security, authorization, business requirements.

This may seem like "overkill" for a simple email task, but it's necessary to effectively deliver a solid solution. Also, no one on the forums can advise on this topic since you haven't provided any information other than
"I want to send a email".

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back