Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Queries In Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabowles

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
US
Hello,

Is it possible to write a web query in Excel to query a table from a site that is password protected? I am almost positive that it is possible because a co-worker supposedly wrote an excel macro that pulls it and she was able to execute the query from home one time but now we cannot execute it. When we attempt to execute it, it states "The web query returned no data". I use web queries on other sites and they work fine. I have even used web queries on sites that require a username and password, however those sites usually have the standard windows pop-up dialogue box containing the site and realm name. The site that I am having trouble with now has an "integrated" login, what I mean is the username and password fields are on the webpage. If this makes any difference, the login page is secure SSL. The page that comes after where I am attempting to make the query isn't. Is there anything that I need to do to still performed the query given those situations? If I am doing everything right, is their anyway to "debug" a web query? Is there anyway that I can do it programmatically with VBA (verses the Data->Get External Data dialogue box) that I might can use to step through to see where the problem lies?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Bowles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back