Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Part to display New items from other web parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
My boss wants one of our SharePoint sites to display newly added items on the home page. (note that this is a hosted sharepoint site, so I don't have access to IIS or SharePoint Central Administrator) Easy enough, but he wants it to display "new" items from 6 different Document and Picture libraries. I've found that I can pretty easily add each individual library and modify the shared view to dispaly any items where the created date is grater than or equal too "[Today]-7". This works out perfectly. However, rather then adding 6 different web parts to the home page, I'd rather have 1 web part called say "Recent Additions" and in that 1 web part, it would display all the "new" items from the 6 document and picture libraries.
Any suggestions?

Have you tried using a content query web part? (assuming its moss you're using)

I've looked into it and it does look like that would do the trick, the problem is, as I said it's a hosted sharepoint site, so I'm not sure what it actually is "SharePoint product wise" (as in if it's just windows sharepoint serverices, or portal, or enterprise or what). All I know is that the content query web part is not a web part that is available for me to select.

You need to have the Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature activated for CQWP. If you go to:

Site Settings >> Modify all site settings >> Site collection features

Then activate the Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure.

If you dont have this option its likely that you only have a WSS environment.

Yeah, I don't see it in there. Guess it's just WSS. I wonder how the hosting site gets away with being legal on licenses for that. Oh well, not my consern. Guess I'll just have to put a view on the home page for each individual document and picture library.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back