Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web page to change domain passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
All :

For various reasons, I need to know how to set up a web page which allows users to change their domain passwords.

Most of my users log in locally onto laptops, with a domain account having the same user name. I want to let them change the domain account password without them logging into the domain as it creates unneccesary work for me supporting them.

Any ideas ? Also, are there more efficient ways ( like roaming profiles which I know nothing about ) to ensure people use domain accounts and minimise support workload at the same time ?

Cheers

Dave Venman

Do you mean a public web interface, or an intranet web interface?

I assume you're using ASP? ---------------------
bradley rowe

piece out

The web page will be purely internal, and will use any technology that will do the job. The simpler the better - for example if there's a CIG script which will do it, then great. If there's an ASP canned web page, fine. The means is not a huge concern to me, the end is the important thing in this case.

Then you could do this with ADSI and any number of scripting languages including VB and PERL. If you have a W2k Server, you already have ADSI version 2.5

Interface presents user with boxes for username, password and desired password with some sort of submit button. When the user clicks on submit, the username and password are passed to your script, located on the ISS server, finds the username account, sets the password and resets the password expired flag if necessary. The script should also verify the changes were sucessful and provide feedback to the user in any case. If the script worked, great! If it didn't, it is important that you know this, so a message should tell them to call you.

So we have:

Input page
ASP page, or script
Outpage page

general backend script in VB:

Dim User As IADsUser
Dim UserName As String
Dim UserDomain As String
UserDomain = "domain name"
UserName = "username from web page"
Set User = GetObject("WinNT://" & UserDomain & "/" & UserName & ",user")
Dim NewPassword As String
Dim OldPassword As String
NewPassword = "new password from web page"
OldPassword = "old password from web page"
Call User.ChangePassword(OldPassword, NewPassword)

How you implement this depends on your toolset. If you have VB Pro, you could pack this into a .dll, or you can use WSH to call a plain text script, or you could pass the data from a web page to an ASP page that processes the data. There are down and up sides to any method.

I will encourage you to check out ISBNs: 1578702194 and 1861002718, unleash the power at your fingertips.

If anyone notices any errors here, please speak up!

I've actually found a web page on Microsoft's support site which details how to do this - see

for full details. I can get the first page up, with a domain account name, but when I fill in the boxes and click OK, the following URL

appears and I'm stuck from there.

Any ideas ? I can get to the server on the https port ( 443 ) but it doesn't go past there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back