Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web page not seen outside of office

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesneyj

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
US
Our office hosts our web site. Last week, after creating some FTP sites, our web site was lost to the outside world. We can still see it in house but no one else can. The FTP sites can be seen and accessed, including the one for the web page.
We run IIS 4.0 on NT 4.0 with all current service packs. I have checked the permissions on the directory that houses the web page. They are Administrator Full Control and Everyone RX (RX). IIS shows allow anonymous and basic authentication. Both have the proper users with the proper privilages.
I tried doing the workaround fix from MS Knowledge base article Q178173, but nothing changed. I am running out of ideas.

Thanks for any input.
Brenda Sherrod
Network Administrator
Alliance Architects, Inc.

How is the server configured and connected to the Internet? If it has 2 NICs does the web site have all IP addresses assigned or maybe it was accidently changed to only the internal address?

Also look for any port conflicts between the web site and the ftp virtual servers. Try disabling the FTP servers and see if the web server comes back.

Pax,
Richard

Thank you for the input but everything else checks out. The proper external IP address is enabled. And I shut off the FTP sites and it still was not seen.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what patches have been installed to IIS 4.0? I went to the Microsoft site and noted a lot of hot fixes but I have no way of knowing what is already covered. There doesn't appear to be a version number anywhere. Brenda Sherrod
Network Administrator

Do you have a firewall? port 80 requests may need to be redirected to the correct IP.

An update:
It turns out that port 80 had been corrupted. We removed proxy server 2.0 and put in a fire wall. Things cleared up after that.

Thank you for the input.
Brenda Sherrod
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back