Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Naming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzuszgr8

MIS
Apr 18, 2001
US
My company had me purchase a server I installed Win 2k server and IIS 5.0. I am in the process of creating an intranet. I set up the new site and can access it through the ip address and the local domain naming convention aka intranet.domain.local however my company wants to let users get to it by typing in a one word name. Lets say we call the intranet sam. My company wants me to set it up that when they type sam or that it will bring up the intranet. I've been searching through this forum and other forums as well as looking at the microsoft documentation. The answer has eluded me. I have been fooling around with IIS properties as well as DNS properties to no avail. Can Someone help ME?

Do you run an internal DNS server? If so, add an A record for sam with the IP address of the IIS server and this should resolve your problem. Alternately, you could edit the hosts file on each client, and add the IP and name 'sam' for local name resolution.

Wellllllll

The easiest way to do this is say "No boss that will be a dumb idea and too hard frankly"... (whether it is or it isn't they love to hear that they are dumb trust me it works!... *unemployed*

And then just put them in folders... such as

kinda ? sorta ? maybe ?...

that's all I got :p.

It goes by the name of the box. Whatever the NetBIOS name is will be the name of the intranet site. You can use canonical DNS records to point to the same place with a different name, but it doesn't sound like you want to do that. If it is, let me know and I can show you how, as can anyone else here..

Let's say you have a box named WebServ. WebServ hosts your intranet, and Client1 wants to view it. They type in the IP, such as 192.168.1.192 and get the pages. Or, they type in the NetBIOS name, WebServ, and get the pages. Works either way.

Thank you all for your help. My problem was solved by fixing the dns server with the name I wanted and changing the HOSTS file on the client. Now I can call the intranet what ever they want and fix it so everyone can see it as that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back