Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gussy1

Technical User
Dec 22, 2002
IE
Which is better? I want to set up a small website for a friends amusement arcade. Money is not really a major problem so I don't know whether I should buy a decent PC (actually the one I have now will do), get a DSL/ADSL line in and host the site myself OR just use one of the standard hosting companies.

1) Could someone please give me a quick pros and cons description of each?

2) Also if I keep it in house, should I change my OS to Unix based or will XP Pro do?

Cheers

I've got a little experience with this. I started up a website for my church a year ago, using a host. I'd say getting a host is the way to go. My reasoning:
- there's no hardware expense,
- let someone else maintain the hardware, and
- faster connection (they're usually on a backbone).

Try pair.com or aletia.com. They've got reasonable prices, and come highly recommended.

Another consideration... Ifyou host your own site, you need a good firewall (which you need anytime you go the DSL route). You'll also need regular backups (which hosts do every 24 hours usually)... Get the Best Answers! faq333-2924
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
mikewolf@tst-us.com

DEFINITLY with a host, let them to all the hard work of keeping software up to date, monitoring the server, backing-up data etc etc etc etc etc.

Uplinkearth.com are very cheap and excellent support etc
dzones.com are also very good and quite cheaply priced.

É
::

So they can be relied upon to keep your site up and running and not move stuff around and kill local links etc.

Your local links should be relative! But, yes, if they screwed stuff up regularly, they wouldn't be in business... Get the Best Answers! faq333-2924
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
mikewolf@tst-us.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back