Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Form and Filemaker Pro 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

annaz

Programmer
Apr 5, 2004
CA
I'm going to develop web application using Microsoft Personal Web Server, ASP and Filemaker Pro 5 in Mac. Is it possible to use File Maker to interact with ASP at the server?
Well I'm sure this is really dumb but i dont
know a lot about filemaker and basically
I'm trying to make a client information form
on the web and when submitted it would dump the info into the database...
How to set up Filemaker Pro to connect with web form? Any idea?
I am unsure how to make things call to the right place...
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Two solutions: You can get filemaker to be an ODBC datasource, just like any other ODBC source like "access".
So between your active server page and your database, there is an ODBC driver which connects the two. On Win 2000 it's called "odbccp32.cpl", a nice easy to remember name. You set up the driver, then, when your server page wants to talk to the database, it talks to "odbccp32.cpl", which recognizes filemaker as a datasource 'cause you set it up that way.

Second solution: Use CDML (Claris dynamic Markup Language) (Claris is the company that makes filemaker) to extend HTML to be able to talk to the filemaker database. Much simpler. You can avoid ASP and ODBC, and just add a few extra tags to your HTML code. Here's a page to get you started:
sortorder=descend&product=FileMaker&article=CDML%20Reference&-token.0=FileMakerCDML%20Reference&-token.1=18&-
find=&-format=detail.html&-recid=12591119

Ok so that's one really ugly URL, but it's an intro article.

LS

If you can find a copy of Claris Homepage 3.0, it has a simple wizard that creates some pages which will give you a basis for your own web pages. However I think Claris has discontinued Homepage, so it may be a little difficult to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back