Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Export to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

elias2212

Technical User
Jul 16, 2002
US
I will describe my actions -- but they weren't rational!

Right click on the web page and select “export to Microsoft excel”
This launches Excel with “ExternalData_1:Getting Data …” in cell A1
And a Microsoft Excel error message:
The web query returned no data. To modify the query, click OK, click the name of the external data range in the name box on the formula bar, and then click Edit Query on the External Data toolbar.

This is where I start grabbing straws doing a lot of things, trial and error fashion until something works (sorta). I will describe what finally had some semblance of success.

I click OK and on the Excel sheet pull down data menu, then Import External Data then Edit Query

I next am presented with a screen titled “Edit Web Query” with a message headed by Please Note …
The requested information is currently not available

0x10A / 0x138E Invalid Request (32)

in the Address bar, I entered the URL for the page I wanted to export.. and was sent to the logon page of the website, I logged back in and was presented with the page I wanted to export. This time the page had a lot of yellow squares with black arrows and only a <Cancel> button active.

Chose the <Cancel> and was returned to the Excel spreadsheet. Pulled down the Data menu ->Import External Data->Edit Query. Was then returned to the webpage with the yellow boxes except that the table had a green box with a check in it and two buttons on the page <Import> <Cancel>. Choosing <Import> gave me the webpage date in the Excel Spreadsheet. – Just like I wanted. I have no idea what I did and why, but this works except for webtables that span more than one page. Using the above (mysterious) steps will always give me page 1 of a table, even when subsequent pages are shone on the website. ?????

I would appreciate if someone can tell me what I did or direct me to where I can find some documentation that will explain how to do what I want done in a more rational way.

Thanks in advance.

Elias

BTW this only works on my XP machine. On the system 2000 computer, right clicking on the webpage does not have an “Export to Excel” option ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back