Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web enabling access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk003

Programmer
Feb 9, 2004
US
What would be the easy way to web enable an access database for entering data and querying?
Users outside of our organization also need to access this database. Can data aceess pages read data from multiple tables and can we use sub forms or something similar to that?

The standard Access answer is to have your remote users "remote in" to a Citrix or a Windows Terminal Server, and run access from that environment. There's also the Access .ADP route you can take for web-enabling, but I figure: if you're going to learn a new technology, you might as well learn a more popular one, like full-blown ASP.NET for example.

In short, there's a bunch of different options, but nothing's as simple as you're hoping. Have a nice day.

Better yet, go to the boss and get budget to bring in a consultant who has experience with this kind of thing.

Web enabling a database is an order of magnitude more complex than building a desktop app, as you have to contend with all kinds of statess protocol fun.

Brian Begy
Chicago Data Solutions

I agree with BrianB - find someone who has already placed access on the web and make sure you see his work first. Data Access Pages are actually web pages (HTML, XML) which means your concept of a form calling another form, etc. doesn't work. To pass data from one page to another, you have to use cookies. The VBA and DAO/ADO you know is replaced with VBScript. Also, in my experience, IT departments aren't aware of XML used by DAP's. They want you to write it in ASP. I placed an Access DB on the web for the Maryland Department of Transportation and my biggest headache was the IT people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back