Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web domain name registration. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3lson

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
In the past I have used domain registration services such as Godaddy, Register and Network Solutions. My question is Goddaddy is $9.99 a year for registering a domain, while Network Solutions charges $19.99 per year. What is really the difference? I've used both and they both work good. Could someone please tell me any advantages/Disadvantages of using low end register companies?

I was thinking, does Network Solutions have better servers than Godaddy, therefore making it more expensive?

Thanks!
n3lson

from the godaddy FAQ page:
QUESTION:

Network Solutions and Register.com charge $35/yr for domain name registration. I guess you have to go through them. If you are charging less, aren't you losing money? Or will I get a separate bill from one of those two firms? Also, do I have to host with GoDaddy.com?

ANSWER:

GoDaddy.com does not purchase domains through Network Solutions, Register.com or any other company. GoDaddy.com is a fully accredited Registrar of domain names. ICANN, the governing body of domain names, has approved GoDaddy.com as a registrar. Our registration services compete directly with those of Network Solutions/Verisign and Register.com.

Our prices for these services are simply better. There are no hidden fees and no gimmicks; and we do not make you use our hosting services with your domain name. We are able to offer these prices by accepting lower profit margins than others might be inclined to, and by striving to keep our operations efficient.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- Quote by Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back