Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web design Software for E-Commerce website

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDiesel12

Technical User
Dec 18, 2007
US
Could someone please tell me some names of good software to create a professional looking e-commerce webite with relative ease? I am in IT but I have no web design experience. Me and a buddy are starting an online business. We want to sell on ebay and we would also like to have a website for customers to be able to purchase from. I have poked around a bit, but I am not finding anything that is fairly easy to use AND professional looking.

Depending on what you want to do with the site and how much you wish to customise the 'out of the box' set up take a look at Zen Cart and Magento.

These are both self hosted solutions. If you want something hosted and looks great try shopify.com.

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Forgot one... you might also want to look at Trading Eye. I've not used it but heard good things.

More info on Magento - it's hard work! Very powerful but hard to customise.

Zen Cart - Easy to customise a bit, fairly easy to set up but the versions I have worked with were a bit like Spaghetti code. So long as you don't want to change too much you'll be OK.

Not used Shopify.com either but I have heard good things in the past and the stores all look professional.

Thanks Foamcow! Great Info. audiopro...I figured you were being funny because in my post I stated I wanted something fairly easy. Writing my own code isn't too easy for me. Thanks though.

These suggestions are shopping carts. Are they also web site builders?

I used pdgsoft. its a shopping cart also, but has the ability to create a simple site as well thru its use of templates and a back end. The company will put a skin on the site for you once for no charge. (at the time i purchased).

It would be wise to look around and know what you want the end result to look like and function like before contacting any vendor about whether or not their package will do what you need and want.
wjwjr

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

If you just want a shopping cart and considering using Paypal for payments then you can use Paypal's shopping cart.

They do all the heavy lifing, you just write HTML.

I don't really like working with Paypal with my own custom cart but their shopping cart thing looks quite useful.

I'll give my two cents...if you are on a mac I would suggest Rapidweaver using the payloom plugin that works with paypal. Sorry it is mac only but the templates and easy of putting up a great little template based website can't be beat and it comes with several templates plus to buy others is relatively cheap. The plus side is that if you know css the customizing is very simple.
Dreamweaver can be learned as you go just stick with some of the pre-made templates for layout. You can then used paypal code for your carts. Take a higher learning curve but you have more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back