Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davin

Programmer
Sep 18, 2000
CA
I need to host a database on a web site containing all the postal codes for canada. I also want to maintain a database of all user names and ids for members of my site. Does any one have any suggestions of what DBMS to use?

It would really depend on where this is hosted. Is this an internal server at a company you work for or is it hosted at an ISP/hostprovider? If its internal, use whatever your company already owns or is willing to allow you to use. If its hosted outside use whatever the provider has installed. Any DB will do the job. I've used Access/ASP, FoxPro, Oralce/Java, and MySQL/PHP. It all came down to who was hosting the database. The Access/ASP solution was done for a client who housed everything internally and only had (and would only license) IIS servers and Access databases. The FoxPro was done because a client was willing to buy me the hardware/software to experiment with that platform. The Oracle/Java was for a large client who had an Oracle license already. The MySQL/PHP solution is what I do a lot of my work in because many hosting providers already have it since its open source and free.

tone

I would suggest either MySQL, Interbase, or Advantage databases. Fairly easy to set up, fairly easy to maintain.
James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Access + ColdFusion would be a possibilty although access does have scalability problems (check out the very helpful CF forum on this site!). ColdFusion is fairly simple to use as it is a tag based language but is still powerful and robust enough to get the job done. If you are coming from a VB background then you might find ASP a more intuitive solution.

my tuppence ha'penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back