Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web.config and login

Status
Not open for further replies.

davikokar

Technical User
May 13, 2004
IT
hallo,
I have a very simple application: three aspx pages. One is the login, one is a page everyone can see and the third one is a restricted page.
In my local server everything works fine if I don't add the web.config file. When I add the web.config I get an error of wrong configuration: "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."
If I upload the files to the real server this error shouldn't occur anymore, but I still get an error (not shown because of security reason), even if I set the customerror to "off" in the web.config.
I really don't know what is going on:

This is the code of the web.config:
Code:
 <configuration>
   <system.web>
     <authentication mode="Forms">
       <forms name="AuthCookie" loginUrl="login.aspx" />
     </authentication>
     <authorization>
       <deny users="?" />
     </authorization>
   </system.web>
 </configuration>

Can you see something wrong? thanks

And have you configured the virtual directory?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Maybe a wrong configuration of the virtual directory could explain the error when I try to run the application locally, but would it make a difference for the online version? Also when I upload the files I get an error and I'm not sure on what this could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back