Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Browser for Motorola/Symbol MT2090 running Windows CE 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLayzell

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2005
CA
Good Day,

I've been tasked with getting a web browser running on a Motorola/Symbol MT2090 barcode scanner, but it is proving challenging.

Can anyone provide any advice, or literature relevant to this task? I have been following the instructions in the product documentation for the scanner, but there seem to be few 3rd party dev with products to work with these methods. (Assuming I'm not missing something, which is a huge assumption).

Best Regards,

David Layzell, A+, Project+
Computer Network Engineering Grad
5 years SysAdmin, 11 years hobbyist Dev

David, have you made any progress on this project. I too have a MT2090 I am tasked with installing a web browser on. I have tried the MSI installer for Pocket IE, but it does not work. Keep me posted thanks

Hello holmanski,

Sadly, this project has been aborted; the steps necessary were just too much to complete in time.

What I have found, though, is that you actually need to develop the embedded operating system to get this to work. There are no pre-built browsers that I could find for this OS.

One option is to use the visual studio to design your own browser. This may be the fastest route. There is a webbrowser control that you can drag and drop onto your application form that should make development pretty quick.

The other is to build an operating system image including a web browser, and then load this image onto the scanner. This requires a fairly complex set of tools, and a LOT amount of RTFM to master them.

Apart from that, I really don't have much that I can offer you. I hope this helps, good luck on your journey. Please let me know if/when you win this one!

David Layzell, A+, Project+
Computer Network Engineering Grad
5 years SysAdmin, 11 years hobbyist Dev

Thanks, that is what I was thinking as well. Sounds like you would have to cook up a custom rom like I used to for my pocket pc and then flash the scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back