Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web bombardment

Status
Not open for further replies.

zianole

Programmer
Jan 9, 2007
I hosted my website on my home computer, but since last 3 days I am feeling somebody contineously sending requests to website , Its like a bombardment on my website. As I have a low bandwidth only 128kb upload and 1mb download speed. So can not afford continuous requests to website. Just want to know what may be the purpose of these type of requests And how can I stop it?

Thanks.

Zianole

Not knowing what type of requests (GET, HEAD, POST, etc., etc)you are receiving, it will be fairly difficult to assist.

What indications are you getting that make you "feel" you are getting hit repeatedly?

Are you seeing anything within the IIS logs? Do you have an IDS system for your site (would be a good idea as it would give you clues as to what type of "bad" stuff you are getting hit with)? Is the site being hit by the same IP? Any way you can block that particular IP? Are you getting hit by, let's say, Google, to cache your site?

yes that is a same IP address: 66.249.66.180, oh is it google?

That IP is licensed to Google according to WHOIS

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Download hijack this from the link below.Please do this. Click here:

to download HijackThis. Click scan and save a logfile, then post it here so
we can take a look at it for you. Don't click fix on anything in hijack this
as most of the files are legitimate.

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

If you want to stop all the search engines (the well behaved ones at least) from eating all your bandwidth, then you could create a robots.txt file to constrain how much of the site they index (say by excluding all the images)

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Salem! can you please tell me details what is this file. Where to create it and what it will do, I am using Apache Web server. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back