Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Access did not spring forward! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony11

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2001
US
Web Access email times are one hour behind. I checked the Web Access server and the time is correct. Where does Web Access get it's time from?

NetWare 5.1 SP8
GroupWise 6.04

There were patches for GW6.5 and GW7.0 that fixed these issues. GW6 is obsolete, and I don't think Novell has put any patches out for it for quite some time.

There are some time zone settings in GroupWise that you could check, and adjust to the new time zone rules. Other than that you are probably out of luck.

None of the time zone settings affect Web Access. I guess people will just have to deal with the time being one hour off for the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for your help Marv.

Marv - I'm not sure how helpful it is to tell them that their version of Groupwise is obsolete. I mean, technically that may be 100% true, but many companies just aren't willing to upgrade versions due to monetary constraints.

I think too many IT people use that justification (obsolete version) to attempt to sell management on upgrading. They could care less if there's no payback or financial justification for doing so. So, IT people need to get smarter on how they present their "must upgrade" message. Otherwise every time an IT guy goes in the door seeking money, management is going to roll their eyes.

But it is helpful to tell the OP that there are no patches available. Saves him some time looking for them, y'know?

And if Mgmt wants the systems maintained and able to adjust to changes, they've got to pay to keep them updated. That's the price of business.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

That's when they outsource IT for giving them bad information. Not too far from the truth.

Goomba, It is useful because I know for a fact that there were patches that fixed issues in GW 6.5 and GW 7. But because GW 6.0 was dropped a long time ago, there were no patches for it at all. People that run obsolete versions are stuck with issues that exist, that's just the way it is.

There are certain things that can be configured, but if those don't work, what more do you want me to say? How many other ways can you say that you're at a dead end?

Tony - there should be a time zone setting on the webaccess agent.. Not sure if you looked there, but you should at least verify that setting.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

It's no secret that GroupWise 6 is obsolete, I think I built this server in 2000, so it's pretty old.
Upgrading to GroupWise 7 is definitely not a monetary issue, it's relatively cheap. GroupWise 6 has never given me any problems, did everything we needed it to do.

The time zone setting on the web access agent is correct.

Just another tidbit to add. I had a client the other day that had this SAME exact problem on GW7 SP1.. All the settings were correct, everything. But SP1 still had some DST bugs in it. Once we applied SP2, everything was fine.

Knowing this, you should be able to see why GW6.0 would have a problem.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back