Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web access and frequent contact list

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRCC

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2001
CA
Hi all.

I have a user who is accessing her groupwise email account via webaccess.

We're using Groupwise 6 on a NetWare 5 network.

She can see and use her "Novell Groupwise Address Book", but can't see or use her "Frequent Contacts" addresses.

There is a drop-down box that's supposed to allow a user to choose which address book to use, but is greyed out. She can see and use it in her full blown client at the office, but not while using web access.

Others are able to use their various address books with no issues, so it must be a setting or problem with this account only (obviously).

I've run gwcheck and mailbox maintenance on this account as well as the entire post office with no errors being shown.

Any suggestions or help will be (and is) greatly appreciated.

TIA

Mark

It turned out that the address book was corrupt.

I exported the frequent contacts list as well as her personal address book, deleted the account, re-created the account and imported the address book contents into the new account.

The only negative part was that her existing email messages were lost. (or are they?)

Any way to "un-lose" her old email?

TIA again!

Mark

Mark,
The mail is gone from the system when you deleted the user, however, depending on how much you want to put into this, you can get it back. You will have to restore the entire post office to a temp directory from before the user was deleted (you can actually restore just part of it, but that gets a little complicated), then login to that temp directory as the deleted user (which will still exist in the temp directory). Of course, you will need to know the user password from that point in time. If you have the PO setup for client/server and direct, you can login using the /ph-path switch (where path is the location of the temp directory). If you have the PO setup as client/server only, you will have to bring up a POA temporarily (it isn't that tough-just copy the .poa file of the existing poa and change the port number and /ph attributes).

Once you are logged in as the user, you need to archive everything you need, mail, appts, etc. Now you will need to use the FIDeditor to change the FID of the archive file to match the new user's FID#. Look on Novell website for the fideditor. Once that is done, point the new user to the archive directory and you now have the missing info. Unarchive everything you need and it will appear back in the system mailbox. Change the archive directory back to the original if necessary.

I know it is a lot, but depending on the need for the data, it might be worth it.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

After doing some detective work over the weekend, I concluded that what you wrote is exactly what i'd have to do. I emailed my user on Friday afternoon explaining what happened and if she really needed any of the emails that were lost. Of course she needs maybe 10% of it, so I will be attempting it. I will let you know how all goes and what, if any, streamlining may be possible.

I'm assuming that it would make sense to have anyone in the office archive their important emails on a timely basis. Is there a way to force this?

Thanks again for all your help (know anything about Backup Exec?)

Mark

You can set options to automatically archive after xx days to a specified location in the GW options in NWADMIN. You can also lock the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back