Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We need to help me with this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tybbe

Programmer
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hello my name is tybbe,
my problem is: I have a form with autonumber field, but I enter register number 1, next 2, .... but when I want to edit data, the register number 1 is autonumber number 34 for example, the data for register number 1 is not the same that I entered. then I have a problem when I try to correct data.
thanks so much for your advice.

Like DougP indicated, will need more information in order to help you.

The primary purpose of autonumber is for Access to assign a unique value to every record and not allow duplicates of that number. It should not really be used for any other purpose, excpet in rare situations. If you would like a numbering system for each record such as would be needed for an invoice, you should create your own numbering system, which can be done. If this is done, the numbers will always be sequential whereas, the autonumber, as you are experiencing, can change. This can occur especially when a record is deleted.

HTH

An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.

by Benjamin Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back