Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We have a PC running WIN NT 4.0, re

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2002
US
We have a PC running WIN NT 4.0, receiving a message (after a power outage) "Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMHardware Profile/Last Known Good Menu

I attempted the Repair as it suggested, but to no avail. I could just re-image the PC (Ghost), but we have some information on this drive under a Partion (D:) that we would like to try to retrieve. This user stores all of her Outlook personal folders there.

Are we out of luck? Or, does anyone have a suggestion?

You could take the hard drive out of the machine and put it in a working machine as a secodary hard drive. You could then at least access the files you need to save before having to re-image the machine.

As far as repairing the install, you could try copying the damaged file from a working NT machine to the correct directory. The path you listed does not name the file just the folder so I cannot judje the damage. It is very possible that more files would need to be copied as well.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

--Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

Worked great, got the info. Thanks knporter, for the assist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back