Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WDS / RIS legacy - RIS does not create PNF files

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanCN2

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2011
US
I replaced my old Windows 2000 RIS server with a new Windows 2003 R2 x64 Server using WDS and RIS Legacy mode. My legacy RIS images have been working fine except I can not get new NIC drivers on any of my images to work any longer for the text portion of XP setup.

On the old Windows 2000 I would add the inf and sys files for any new NICs to the i386 folder and restart the BINLSVC and RIS would create the PNF files. The Windows 2003 will not create the PNFs for any of my selections, however drivers with PNFs from the old images work. I just can't get this to create new ones.

I have tried to restart the WDS service from Services and I have also tried stoping and starting from the command line with the WDSUTIL but the PNF files still do not generate. Without the PNF files the text portion of setup will not start my legacy XP installs for any of my new units. I get past the mass storage loads to "Starting Windows setup" but then get an eror that no NIC driver is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back