Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WDS PXE boot - DHCP across Vlans (Layer 3 switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reza23

Programmer
Sep 10, 2007
US
Hi,

Just seeing if you guys could help out on a problem I have come across?

Scenario
----------

I have a strange situation where computers won't boot with Windows Deployment Services(WDS), Microsoft's PXE boot system. - PCs get either PXE-E55 or PXE-E51 error messages.

The WDS server is in VLAN 100, but it is connected to the cisco core switch. A PC I want to build with WDS was in VLAN 100.

I can ping the pc if I statically assign it an address. I've noticed that computers I build won't get DHCP when I connect them to a port in VLAN 100 or VLAN 110. The core has an a helper address for the VLAN 110 interface, there's no access list between VLAN 100 and VLAN 110

I need WDS to build computers connected to VLAN 110. WDS won't start a PC in VLAN 110. I get PXE-E53: No boot filename received. This is probably because the helper address won't send dhcpoffer packet from WDS informing it of the TFTP location and boot file.

I see assigning a static address, pinging, reverting to DHCP as a workarround....it just seems a bit odd.

The ip helpers is set up, the DHCP server has scopes. The DHCP scope is configured.

DHCP options:

option 60 = PXEClient

option 66 = fqdn of WDS server, I'm certain that DNS resolves this well

option 67 = \boot\wdsnbp.com

Results in:

CLIENT IP: 172.*.*.* MASK: 255.255.255.* DHCP IP: 172.*.*.*

PXE-E55: ProxyDHCP service did not reply to request on port 4011

Any ideas to point me in the right direction, it just seems odd that I have to statically assign the device with an IP when moved to a different VLAN , ping the DHCP server and revert back to automatic ip settings and then it receives an IP from the DHCP server.

VLAN 110 has port-fast configured,

Thanks,

Reza

Where is the dhcp server and what is the address ? Your helper address on subnets that are not attached to that vlan would point to the dhcp server address .

Can you send the switch config for VLAN 100 and 110? Also is your DHCP server on VLAN 110? Are you running DHCP from the L3 Switch or from a Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back