Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WDS on Server 2003 - can't get Win7 drivers and unattended going

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanCN

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2006
US
I am trying to move to Windows 2003 WDS from RIS. Or should I say I already got the RIS images moved over and working under Legacy mode fine.

2000 and XP were a piece of cake under RIS and and now legacy mode on getting the drivers installed however this new image file and xml answer file formats have me tearing my hair out because I can't get all the pieces of the puzzle on how to get the drivers into the installs. I am seeing all sorts of info on using imagex, driver stores, $oem$\$1 folders, but I can't seem to get any of it to work.

The one thing I do not want to do is sysprep an image because I don't want any customization or hardware specific images. I manage each users settings with Group Policies after an I don't want to be tied to haveing to redo the images.

I want it to operate like RIS as much as possible which is to:

1. Be able to get WDS to deploy down a drivers folder that has the NIC and Drive Controller drivers when it is downloading boot.wim. I know that on the server config I specifiy the unattended file that this portion is to use, but I don't know how to tell the PE portion of setup where to look for those drivers that are needed for that portion of setup.

2. I want to have more drivers download for the intall.wim portion of setup and have an unattened file point to those drivers as well so PnP can setup the hardware.

I have seen online that I just need to create an $oem$\$1 structure and it is supposed to copy the files down like RIS did, but the files don't come down. I can tell because I do a Shift F10 during each portion of setup and never see the files.

In RIS I was able to integrate my NIC and SCSI drivers into my i386 folder, have an $oem$ structure and point the unattended file to that. In the end I had a named PC in the right OU, joined to the domain with all the drivers installed. I want to duplicate that success with Windows 2003 deploying Windows7 using the WAIK. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back