Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WD MY PASSPORT 0740 USB DRIVE NOT FOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil8

MIS
Mar 3, 2006
US
My son came to me yesterday with a WD My Passport 0740 USB Drive (p/n WDBACY5000ABK-01). He has been using it for about 6 months and plugged it in last night and it no longer comes up. I've tried both USB ports on my Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 7 x64 and I can see the drive in the Device Manger list and in Disk Management it lists as Disk 0 Unknown Not Initialized. Trying to do anything here gives me an I/O error. I tried another USB cord and that made no difference.

I tried plugging the drive into my Windows XP desktop (used several back and front USB ports) and it list under Device Manager, but no where else. I even tried a mac in the office next door.

I've tried the testdisc and EaseUS Partition Master Home Ed. These two utilities don't list the drive either.

When the drive initially gets plugged in, the light blinks (never stops) and for minute I can hear a noise like its spinning or maybe trying to spin? I have to run out now on a call, I'll grab a power booster cord, but I don't think that will help.

I've been scouring the internet for 2 hours looking for a workable solution can anyone here help?

Sounds like one of two possibilities:
1) Bad USB enclosure. Only real way to know is to remove the HDD and plug it into another machine and see if it is visible, if so bad enclosure.
2) Bad HDD. See #1 but if another machine doesnt see it, bad HDD.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back