Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WBEM Folder Corruption Risk Implication

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdsweet98

Technical User
Jul 11, 2011
MY
We are planning to execute the below command which will rebuild the WBEM Folder in case of corruption which is preventing it from work. I would like to know what is the risk that will impact this. I am planning to create a backup folder, copy all files into it and then run the below command so I have a backup just in case anything happens.

Please help Thanks.

1.. Disable the Windows Management Instrumentation SERVICE in the services console (services.msc)
2.. Back up the contents in the C:\windows\system32\wbem\Repository\
3.. Clearing the contents of C:\windows\system32\wbem\Repository\
4.. Click Start and click Run
5.. In the Run dialog box, please type CMD
6.. In the Command prompt, please just copy and paste the command below. Run it then.
for %1 in (%systemroot%\syswow64\wbem\*.mof %systemroot%\syswow64\wbem\*.mfl) do mofcomp %1 (This will rebuild the WBEM folder)
7.. Restart the server.

This sounds very familiar. I think that I ran into some strange, corruption-like issues that prevented me from installing SP1 on a few of my servers in my test lab, and that this was one of the recommended steps to resolve it. It didn't work for me, but it didn't make the servers any more broken than they already were. I ended up rebuilding the servers anyway. Fortunately it was just a DC and a file/print server so it was easy to recover.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen that should put you in a worse state than you're already in. Just make sure that you have good backups so that you can restore data/applications if you end up having to rebuild the server.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back