Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ways to secure laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruby

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2003
US
We are getting ready to buy some laptops for some of our users. Does any one know how to block the users from user the wireless access and the USB port? Or any ways to secure the laptops?

Thank, Scruby

There may be options in the BIOS setup to disable wireless LAN and USB/firewire ports. You then need to password protect BIOS setup.

How to secure the laptops? How secure do you want. You can lock them in a cupboard, which secures them, but doesn't make them much use to anybody. What are they to be used for?

John

You will never be able to secure them enough, unless you follow jrbarnett's instructions. Users do strange things - even things they're not supposed to.

My personal philosophy: secure them as best you can and scan & physically check settings every chance you get.

My most recent near heart attack occurance was only a couple of weeks ago. One of the salesmen came back from a trip and I discovered the entire C: drive was shared with full read/write permissions to everyone!

Issue docking stations for the users to use at the place of business with a nic that's hardcoded into the station. When they plug in the laptop, any nic they have won't be used, only the one on the docking station will. I believe there are ways of locking the laptops to the stations, but I've never tried. I'm assuming the machines will be after W2K, probably XP so you can password protect them. Good luck.
My most recent near heart attack occurance was only a couple of weeks ago. One of the salesmen came back from a trip and I discovered the entire C: drive was shared with full read/write permissions to everyone
Nothing you can do about PEBCAM.
Problem
Exists
Between
Chair
And
Monitor.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

That's a good idea of GlenJohnson's.

To get around Smah's problem, I would also add enable the XP firewall on network and dialup connections.
The only time this would not be useful is if in the office it needs full network connectivity, where it would be more of a hindrance than a useful security measure, but fine only if they were using network bandwidth for internet connectivity.

John

why dont you just set an SSID for your acess points? that way no one can get to your network unless they put in the ssid or wep password. bam simple as that.. but when it comes time to put them on either you can give them the pass word or, take it off (not recomended).

If you want a full blown sledgehammer to crack this nut, I suggest you look at LanDesk. We have been able to lock down the USB ports on any workstation or laptop. It is a however an expensive solution to what should be done more simply!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back