Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ways to deal with variable network performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomLeMes

MIS
Mar 19, 2004
GB
I have a VFP application that uses SQL pass-through (SQLEXEC) to connect to a SQL Server backend. Apologies for the following as my lack of proper knowledge of network stuff will make my descriptions a bit wishy-washy. Most of my users are local (London) and the SQL server they are connecting to is also based in London.

However, one or two of my users are based over in Switzerland and they are running an EXE over there that is still connecting to the London SQL Server. Although the network performance is usually reasonable, I'm guessing that it must dip from time to time. These remote users are finding that every so often the app crashes and it seems to be happening when the SQLEXEC commands fail. These crashes are not consistent or reproduceable and are not occurring with my London users.

I realise that I need to beef up my error handling so that the whole thing doesn't crash when the network is struggling. But I wanted to know if there were any tips for helping VFP deal with poor/variable network performance. Would altering the packetsize (using SQLSETPROP) help? The QueryTimeOut setting is already at the default 0 (indefinite). Are there any other settings that I could alter that might help?

What is the crash error for the SQLEXEC? You can use aerror(aMyError) to capture it. I suggest 1st starting a log of the errors to identify the problem(s).

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back