Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ways of emulating v7 Distributed Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

jannoth

MIS
Oct 9, 2007
CA
We mainly use v11 but rely on v7 to distribute compiled reports which are then run by users without CR. These are mainly administrative letters, forms and other correspondence which must go out in hard copy - and large volumes.

Our admin needs are growing fast so we need more copies of v7 to keep-up with producing pre-compiled reports to users without CR.

Does anyone out there know answers to the following - or have any other ideas please as I can't locate more copies of v7 for sale anywhere :-(

1. can we install more copies of v7 with only one licence?
2. if not, could we install more copies of v7 if we first bought additional copies of a newer (or older) version (eg v11) but didn't use those?
3. is there any other way of making these mini reports?

Apart from the fact that we need printed output, it is particularly valuable that data is refreshed on execution.

Thanks - hope someone understands me :-|

J

Crystal Reports stopped the compiled report feature. The easiest option would be to use a Crystal Report Viewer. Ido Millet makes an excellent viewer and report distribution software.

Thanks jbecker614.

We have looked into CR viewers, but solutions we looked at fell short because of our particular need ...

... the output from reports must be based on live data AND ouput onto paper (eg letters, agreements, claim forms etc) for customers without computers.

It seemed that the Viewers didn't seem to refresh the data, making them pretty useless for this. We are still exploring but wondered if there was a way of (legall) further disseminating copies of v7.

J

Ido Millet's DataLink Viewer will do this and so will most of the other CR viewers that I have seen. The report has to be written to retrieve the required data from the database, perhaps in response to user input at a prompt. Once the report is on screen, the user can print it.

Thanks PGFrank - am on my way to look now ...

J :)

It is only the viewer put out by Business Objects that doesn't refresh data. All 3rd party viewers can refresh data. The LINKS page on my site has a pretty comprehensive list of the viewers available.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Thanks Ken. The other viewers / schedulers I was exploring were actually spotted on your site - so ... Thank You twice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back