Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Way to remove top window bar that has "X" for close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy1

Programmer
Dec 21, 2000
US
Hi All.

Just wondering if there is a way to disable or remove the very top bar of a window that has the "X" for closing option, along with the dash to shrink the window down to the toolbar, and the double-windows to resize it to the original size. Or, is there a way to disable these options in that top toolbar?

Use for this is in a pop-up window that requires 2 small pieces of information. We have edits for the information, but if the user clicks on the "X", the window will close regardless of whether the data entered passes the edits.

Some of the window features I could find are:
toolbar, location, directories, status, menubar, scrollbars, resizable, etc... and none of them addressed the very top window bar.

If I cannot disable the top bar, I will have the edits placed in the calling window and re-pop up the entry window if the fields aren't entered. Just thought disabling the "X" would be easier.

Thanks for your help!

Kathy |-0

You can not disable the section of a window to close/minimize it. You'll just need to error trap for windows that are closed without users completing them. Remember, if a user closes a window it is likely they want to close the window - trying to nag them into taking an action they don't want to do will only irritate them more. The button they'll be whacking on then will be the back button.

Thank you doublehelix.

I suspected that not being able to close that window would be a source of frustration to users. And that was the reason there were no options to disable that part of the toolbars. But I always have to ask the sometimes obvious questions. :)

I have to congratulate you - that was the quickest reply I've ever gotten, and I've had a few really quick ones!!

Again, thank you.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back