Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Way to go from Windows 10 Home to Windows 7 Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarzan

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US
I believe that windows 10 home does not have downgrade rights, but if I have a computer with Windows 10 Home and upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro, can I then downgrade to Windows 7 Pro?

OK, that's good if the route to get to 10 Pro doesn't matter. How about media? I have Windows 7 Pro OEM media, and I have used it to downgrade 10 Pro to 7 Pro in the past, but it worked without a product code, i presume because the 10 Pro product key was embedded in the bios. Will that be an issue when I install 7 Pro on this computer that shipped with 10 Home and was upgraded to 10 Pro?

Never tried it, but I would think that you would take the new 25 character key and use that to downgrade once 10 pro was activated for the product.

I didnt realize you get a new key with the 10 Home to Pro upgrade. I will be doing this on Monday, will report back my results.

It wasnt completely straightforward; when you upgrade 10 Home to Pro from the Windows store, you do not get a product key. But you do get support from Microsoft. They pointed me to a site to download the media. That site asked for a Windows 7 Pro key, which I entered, didn't work, but support assisted with that, and also gave me a Windows 10 Pro product key to use in the future for this machine. So the "10 Home" up to "10 Pro" down to "7 Pro" route worked. Thank you rclarke250.

Glad it worked, and now we know how to do it since you went through the process and reported back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back