Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Way of referring to a previous row in a table using vba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChewDinCompSci

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
CA
I am trying to refer to a previous row in a table to compare two times (time1 and time2). Is there a way of referring to time1 after dealing with time2 in vb so that I can get the difference between the two times? Any help anyone can provide is much appreciated.

MatChew
codename: vba4dumbE

I think some clarification is needed. Are time1 and time2 fields in a table or variables in code? And how are time1 and time2 set?

To be specific, I need to refer to two times (TimeIn and TimeOut). Since, the calculation I need to make is only for reporting purposes I suppose I can refer to the time values in my table. Therefore, if TimeOut of the current record minus TimeIn of the previous record is less than 30 then ConTime = True (ConTime is another column in my table which will store the difference between the two times). Is this clear?

MatChew

You can use a recordset to retreive the TimeIn of the previous record.

Code:
Dim qry as String
Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim v_TimeIn As ???
Set cnn = CurrentProject.Connection

qry = "SELECT TimeIn FROM [i]TableName[/i] WHERE [i]criteria match[/i] = [i]??[/i]"

rst.open qry,cnn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly

v_TimeIn = rst.Fields("TimeIn")

rst.Close
cnn.Close

If TimeOut - v_TimeIn < 30 Then
    Return True
Else
    Return False
End If

mike

Thanks a lot mike! I'll try that.

MatChew

Quick Question Mike. In the criteria match in the SQL you've added should the criteria match be something general so that all TimeIn values from the table are selected? Or, do I need a unique identifier here cuz if so there wouldn't be one.

MatChew

The WHERE Clause would need a unique identifier to know which record to pull the TimeIn field from.
If it is in the previous row then you could return the entire dataset, use the rst.Find command to move to the current record, then use the rst.MovePrevious command. Hope this helps.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back