Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wav to Mp3 to Xml Pointers or Directions? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybry

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US
Hi,

I am probably way over my head in this forum. If I am kindly tell me which one I should post this in.

I want to get some pointers on how to convert standard audio files to Mp3?
Hopefully with the help of some free software.

Then I would like to find software that can convert Mp3 files to Xml (if possible) too.

Can someone point me in the right direction, regarding Mp3, Xml and Rss 101?
Has anyone found a good sight for those less technically inclined?

As always thanks for any help you folks can provide me with.

Search google for free mp3 to wav convertors.

I suggest you read up on XML. It's a way of structuring data which is almost always textual. Whilst you probably could encode the information in XML, why on enough would you want to?

Thanks for your Reply Jonty,

I almost gave up on this thread pleading for help.

I read somewhere that in order to Podcast, I would need the following:

1) Wav to Mp3 coverter (found one)
2) A website to upload Mp3's to (haven't found a free one yet, to share files on)
3) XML ability (I guess to incorporate the Mp3 links into the webpage?)
4) Rss ability (I've read that it links viewers to links for downloading ?)

I was trying to find all the ingrediants prior to attempting to put it all together.

So far I have 2 of the 4 pieces to the puzzle and I'm looking for more.

Thanks for any help would be able to provide.

Don't really know much about podcasting and haven't used RSS.

Basically, XML is used to describe structured data. You give the data tag names so anyone reading the file could immediately see what the data refers to. HTML is a subset of XML that describes the look of data on a web browser. RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a specific set of XML tags that are used to describe new content (in your case mp3 files). Here's an example of an RSS file for mp3's:

As for the website issue, you'll probably need to pay a small fee to get some webspace, unless you know somebody who has a web server. Alternatively, if you have broadband and your computer is always on, you could run your own web server (not too difficult to set up).

Learn about XML:

This might be useful (has a link to RSS specification):

Hope this is helpful,

Jon

Thanks Jonty,

Great site, great info!

I see, I have a lot of schooling ahead of me.

Like the search for Spock, I will continue to find a free file sharing host site.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back