Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wats wrong with this code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoman007

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2012
US
so here im jst tryin to push all lines with todays date into the array.
but all the data is going thru and getting saved in the array.

$var has this thing
adminode Sun Mar 11 01:53:16 EST 2012 - technoman - sleeping nodename
adminnode Sun Mar 11 01:53:37 EST 2012 - superman - awake nodename
adminnode Sun Jul 19 01:53:37 EST 2012 - superman - awake nodename

so logicaly only the last line should go thru (cos im comparing awk '{print $3}' in date command to awk print $4 in the three lines above).. but all the three lines are goin thru

open(fho,"/home/technoman3/$node.txt");
foreach(<fho>)
{
$var=$_;
#chomp($var);
$i=`date | awk '{print $3}'`;
$p=`echo '$var' | awk '{print $4}'`;
if($p==$i)
{
push(@y,"$var");
}
#push(@y,"$var") if $p == $i;

}
}
$p=0;
foreach(@y)
{
print $_ ;

}

Feherke .. thanks a lot .. that was my mistake .. i rem reading that in a book .. but it had slipped from my mind ..
Feherke u suggested that this not a healthy perl practice .. could u please suggest how to do the same in perl .. can this be done without using command line commands.

Hi

technoman007 said:
can this be done without using command line commands.
Certainly can.

This is how your loop should look :
Code:
[b]my[/b] [navy]@time[/navy][teal]=[/teal]localtime[teal];[/teal]

[b]foreach[/b] [teal]([/teal][green][i]<fho>[/i][/green][teal])[/teal] [teal]{[/teal]
  [b]my[/b] [navy]@part[/navy][teal]=[/teal][b]split[/b][teal];[/teal]
  [b]push[/b] [navy]@y[/navy][teal],[/teal][navy]$_[/navy] [b]if[/b] [navy]$part[/navy][teal][[/teal][purple]3[/purple][teal]]==[/teal][navy]$time[/navy][teal][[/teal][purple]3[/purple][teal]];[/teal]
[teal]}[/teal]

Regarding the use of command line tools, if you want so, Perl itself is also a command line tool :
Code:
perl -nae 'BEGIN[teal]{[/teal][navy]@t[/navy][teal]=[/teal]localtime[teal]}[/teal][b]print[/b] [b]if[/b][navy]$F[/navy][teal][[/teal][purple]3[/purple][teal]]==[/teal][navy]$t[/navy][teal][[/teal][purple]3[/purple][teal]][/teal]' /home/technoman3/$node.txt

Feherke.
[link feherke.github.com/][/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back