Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddraig85

Technical User
Sep 8, 2004
US
So, my dumb ass roommate decided to spill water on my laptop and now it won't turn on. The screen was up and it fell right on the keys. I lifted some of the keys off and it doesn't appear to be wet. When I plug the power adapter to the laptop, the little green light starts blinking (normally it is steady). Any suggestions?

Yes!
Take out the battery, do not try to start, open and leave to dry on a warm surface (not too hot) for a whole day, basically dry it out.
Re-assemble and try again.
I hope trying to start it earlier hasn't permanently damaged it.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

If it was just water you may be ok. Really though you could cause damage switching it on before it is dry. Open it up if possible, leave it somewhere warm, play a hairdryer on it etc. When you are confident it is dry leave it somewhere warm for another 48 hrs. Then try switching it on.

Gavin

You could also give it a good dousing with LPS (Lexite).

It's a non-conducting, non-lubricating cleaner. I've used it to clean systems that have had coke, etc. spilled on them. You would want to open it up, douse it good with Lexite, then let it dry completely. But that will get rid of any residue, etc.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am very hesitant to open it since it is a laptop. I have built desktops, but I have never even attempted to work on laptop hardware (asside from adding memory). We have a fan blowing on it now hoping that it will help dry. My only concern is that it was turned on when it happened, so I think something may have fried.

If it was turned on when it got wet, it is probably toast. You can try getting an external USB drive case and connect it to a desktop to see if you can salvage any data but I am gonna roll the dice and say it's probably a gonner.

Cheers
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back