Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water damaged laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymisguy

MIS
May 15, 2002
US
I have a compaq presario1700 laptop which i spilled water on the keyboard and now when i turn it on nothing happens.
The power light comes on but nothing else, I was wondering if i could just take out the HD and put it in a desktop to preserve the data
Compusa charges 150.00 just to look at it. According to Compaq techs the MB might be bad and the replacement will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanx a Mill

"NOTHING BEATS A FAILURE BUT A TRY"

I wudve taken eve thin off from the laptop n then try to dry up the whole laptop, as if u leave it then eve thin mite get rusted inside, best bet is to open it (***if u dont want to send it back to company, coz if u gonna open it then the warranty is off straight away****) n then dry up all the laptop.

after that hopefully it'll workin fine.

I'd say the chances of getting the keyboard dried out and working again are minimal. Have you tried removing the keyboard to check whether water has contaminated other parts inside the laptop? It's possible water has found its way onto the motherboard, and if it's been powered up in this state, then major damage could have been inflicted upon the components and circuitry.

I'd expect that machine to have a 2.5" sized IDE hard drive. Yes, you can attach the drive to a desktop machine but you'll need the appropriate convertor. Make sure you plug the convertor in the correct way round as power and data are combined within this one connection. NOTE: It is *NOT* keyway'd to prevent incorrect insertion. Also, before powering up the drive on another computer, ensure that the electronics on the base of the 2.5" hard drive are bone dry.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

thanx guys client purchased a new dell laptop due to the fact that it would cost $200 just too have it looked at. Not including cost of new components. Client wasn't happy with Compaq as is.

"NOTHING BEATS A FAILURE BUT A TRY"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back