Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watchstander phone receiving ghost ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarenCAnderson

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2012
US
Good afternoon,

I have a Nortel Option 11 cabinet that has been upgraded to CS1000 that is receiving three pots lines from TELCO and using them as incoming/outgoing trunks.

There is a 2616 digital phone sitting in a communications room where a watchstander receives and routes calls for everyone at the facility.

From the watchstander point of view, the primary extension (3000) will ring constantly as if there is a phone call. When the call is answered, there is nothing but dead air.
When the watchstander hangs up, moments later the phone will ring again.
This problem isn\t consistent however. Some days, it is non-stop, others it will go a few hours without happening.

I have been able to isolate it by disabling my second analog trunk and the issue goes away.

When putting a buttset on the demarc block, the issue is not present so it makes me think that the problem is in the PBX.

While my technicians were on site, they were able to recreate the problem by busying out all of the trunks, and when they were released, the ring would happen.

I currently have the system set up so all incoming calls route to the watchstander phone where they can be farmed out.
There is a second phone next to the watchstander phone that has an appearance of the 3000 extension, and when the ringing happens, the second phone does not ring.
ADDITIONALLY, there is a phone in another room (3904) with the 3000 extension on it where the ringing DOES happen.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Is the site built on an Indian burial ground? That's some weird ringing going on!

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Replace the trunk card and or check polarity on the trunk. Loop or ground trunk?

It\s a loop start trunk.
We'll try switching polarity when we are out there next.

After speaking to my watch stander, it turns out that all phones with the 3000 extension on it ARE ringing, so it isn\t limited to specific phones.

The trunk is set to ring straight through to the 3000 extension, and all phones with the 300 extension are ringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back