Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watchguard Soho User License max out with 22 devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBNservices

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2004
US
I have a client that has an old Soho WG2500 w/ 25 user license. They have 22 devices on the network (4 printers, 3 servers, and 15 desktops). This issue has come up from time to time, but today about 6-8 times the internet was just not accessible period.

Previously I had seen under the "Networks" page of the Soho for trusted networks this:
25 accessing External Network (25 max)

Afterwards it listed the IP addresses etc.

My first impression is to believe that the firewall is counting an IP address as connecting externally. Then if that device's IP address changes, it counts the new address as well, essentially not releasing the first one as unused.

If that is not the case, regardless we still have an issue of the firewall seemingly maxing out its user license when there is ONLY 22 devices on the network, 4 being printers.

At the moment I have had a difficult time getting internet access to my notebook, when only 13 IP addresses are listed. It will eventually begin to work, but it takes about 15-20 minutes before I can access through the Soho.

Should we consider that the device itself is just old and worn out?

p.s. We have updated the firmware to the latest revision, this has not changed anything.

I have thought of that as well as one measure to test out, as well as to remove gateway settings from any printers.

But I am still concerned why, or how, 22 devices could be maxing out. Why the device is listing 25 LAN addresses as accessing the internet when there are only 22 physical devices.

It is almost as if the firewall is just not refreshing the list of IPs accessing the external network.

taking out the gateway on the printers is a good thought. I am not sure as why it would not be resetting the IP's

I have 2 SOHO's with about 10 clients each and I have not experienced this issue.

you may watn to try this forum as it is monitored by WG techs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back