Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WatchGuard SOHO 6 - IP Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfdog

MIS
Feb 19, 2001
US
I am having troubles getting on the Internet when I disable DHCP on the WG SOHO 6.

To connect to the ISP, the location uses PPPoeP. If I keep the WG setup to act as DHCP server and the PC is setup to get the IP address automatically...it works fine.

Once I setup the device not to give out ip address because there are pc's on the network that have a static IP, it doesn't work.

I have the PC on the same subnet. If I put the IP address of the firewall into the default gateway...it still doesn't work. If I take it out, still nothing.

Am I missing something?

Thanks a bunch.

Nick

Make sure you haven't reached your license limit. I think the out of the box config allows for 10 clients. If you changed some from DHCP to static and assigned a different IPs, I believe the soho remembers that dynamic assigned addresses and counts them as seperate clients until you reboot the soho to clear the list.

Thanks for the tip, but I have rebooted the soho unit severa times. Besides, if you change how the firewall handles DCHP, you have to reboot it inorder to apply the changes.

I am going to do some more testing this weekend at my house, since I have the same ISP.

I will let you know. It probably is something really easy :)

Nick

It was a DNS issues. I guess my whole understanding of DHCP and Static was a little off.

When using DHCP, the dns info is passed to each client, but in a static environment, you have to specify it. I though once I put the firewall's ip address as the gateway, it would be passed.

I spoke with support and he clarified it. He gave me a couple of "global" dns addresss, inserted them, and everything is working like it should.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back